Arch Linux Weekly Newsletter
Welcome to the Arch Linux Newsletter. This attempts to give you an ``at a glance'' look at the world of Arch Linux.
- Aurelien has made a suggestion for the i2c and lm_sensors packages. i2c will be dropped because it's part of 2.6 and 2.4 people who want to use it can get a patch from here: http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/devel/i2c/. All 2.6 users need only to install the kernel tools.
- dorphell suggested, to solve the XFree86 licensing issue, we upgrade to 4.4rc2 because he says it's exactly the same as 4.4 sans the licensing change. Prepare for a new XFree86 package.
To participate, visit: http://archstats.coding-zone.com
Number of registered systems: 322
Date first system was registered: 20031017
Most recent update occurred: 20040327
Longest recorded uptime: 175 days, 22 hours, 51 minutes, 55 seconds.
Average uptime: 4 days, 6 hours, 1 minutes, 31 seconds.
Least packages installed on a system: 44
Average installed packages: 255
Most packages installed on a system: 563
- sweiss wanted to know how he could help out with the OpenSSL upgrade that the developers have been working through. The best way to help the developers is to file bug reports on packages that don't work anymore (because of the upgrade). You will know, because the program will fail to start, citing a missing OpenSSL library (.so). At this point, the developers have gotten all the large packages, so they need help finding the obscure ones. Read the thread here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=3474
- Evangel may have finally created a working PKGBUILD for cinelerra. Many people (including myself) have tried over the months, but never came up with a solution. The PKGBUILD should be tested, so hop on over to this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=2322.
- Fabian wanted to know if there was a way to get older versions of packages via pacman. Although you could check your package cache or release CDs, the official repositories do not store older versions. The general Arch method is to move ahead as fast as possible, always using the latest release. The flexibility though, comes in with ABS. You can get old PKGBUILDs via CVS and make older packages yourself. Read the thread here: http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch/2004-March/001146.html
- GIMP 2.0.0 was finally released this week. It is a very serious upgrade from the 1.x series. Although Arch has been using the 2.0 Betas for some time as the official version, GIMP2 has now been dubbed ``stable''. You can read the full press release on 2.0 here: http://brix.gimp.org/files/presspack/pressrelease.pdf
To get access to this repository and the TURs, go to: http://tur.archlinux.org/
629. beaver can't be downloaded
626. rc.shutdown need a poweroff -arg
624. oxine compile error
504. xfree86 fails to build
503. module-init-tools fails to build
620. mutt-devel 1.5.6i-1 package is broken after OpenSSL upgrade
621. gkx86info info
618. XFree86 4.3 package is missing libXinerama.so
616. Conflicts in updating perlxml
583. gtk 2.4 reminder
614. Qt designer > 3.2.3 does not switch editor windows
613. Qt designer > 3.2.3 does not switch editor windows
610. Setup script on ISO can't download linux 2.6 sources
609. ezmlm-idx-mysql and qmail
585. fakeroot fails to download
600. grip links to old openssl library
608. eject is missing :-(
603. gtkspell build error
602. aspell can't download
596. xine can't be associated with avi files in kde
601. ppp world bit readable...
480. Add Suexec to httpd
654. Problem starting gnomemeeting 1.00-2
653. util-linux permissions
652. syslogd readable
651. slocate permissions, readable
650. pam reability
649. mailx permissions
648. juk crashes on startup
647. ooodi2 needs to be rebuilt against openssl 0.9.7
645. failure to download iproute2
644. initscripts compile
643. hotplug world readable
641. Enable xinput in gtk2
639. dhcp world readable
638. cvsup i686 should be $CARCH
637. bittorrent unzipping
636. bchunk permissions
635. acroread bin/bin permissions
633. gtkhtml needs indent to compile
632. gthumb needs to be upgraded for openssl 0.9.7
631. Anjuta needs rebuilding for new openssl
630. dnsmasq fails to download 2004-03-26
628. beaver can't be downloaded
625. ggv cannot start - requires wrong libssl version
623. patch for multiple packages w/ makepkg
622. firestarter not working with 2.6 kernel
617. gnome-applets depends on libgtop pkg
615. Low ForwardX11Trusted default
612. Font problems with Qt > 3.3.0
611. Kernel build procedure missing a step
607. kde - fileshareset not working correctly as user
606. kdm - kdmrc is overwritten after kdebase update
605. Anjuta needs rebuild
That's it for this week, stay tuned for more exciting ArchLinux news.
Arch Linux Weekly Newsletter
This document was generated using the
LaTeX2HTML translator Version 2002-2 (1.70)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996,
Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
Copyright © 1997, 1998, 1999,
Mathematics Department, Macquarie University, Sydney.
The command line arguments were:
latex2html -split 0 newsletter-2004-Mar-28.tex
The translation was initiated by on 2004-03-28