There is a kernel26 package in the official repository now.
WARNING: in classic Arch fashion, I've tested this package for upwards of 24 whole hours before releasing it, seeing as how most users who want to be on 2.6 already are. If you are concerned about stability, stay with 2.4 for now. It is the default Arch kernel.
A few notes:
- module-init-tools replaces modutils, and will work with both kernel versions
- the kernel26 packages uses the '26' extension a lot (/boot/vmlinuz26, /boot/System.map26, /boot/kconfig26) so that 2.4 and 2.6 packages can coexist.
- if you experience weird hanging issues try booting with acpi=off. I've had ACPI freeze a couple of my boxes from time to time.
- pacman -Syu (to make sure you have module-init-tools)
- pacman -S kernel26
- generate-modprobe.conf >/etc/modprobe.conf (or create your own)
- Add this line to your /etc/fstab:
none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
- Create a lilo/grub entry for /boot/vmlinuz26